Naltrexone for Weight Loss – Does The Drug Work? Are you finding it hard to reach weight loss goals? Then here is news for you. Naltrexone Weight Loss! Yes, recently it has been found that Naltrexone, specifically in low doses helps effectively in losing weight. Let us check the details of the drug.
What is this Naltrexone?
Naltrexone medication has been approved by the FDA. This FDA is the U.S. Food and Drug Administration which aids in treating alcohol dependence, alcohol use disorder (AUD), and opioid addiction.
The drug which has been recently approved for weight loss named as Contrave found to contain 8mg of the naltrexone, along with 90mg of bupropion. Before this, naltrexone has been given to opioid and alcohol addicted patients in order to enhance the possibilities of recovery.
- Here Naltrexone acts as an opioid antagonist.
- And bupropion has the functionalities of a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and a dopamine.
Both of these drugs combine together and help in controlling the parts of the brain that have influence on appetite feeling. Thus it is possible to manage carvings.
How does this Naltrexone for weight loss work?
Initially, Naltrexone has been useful for addiction treatment. The mechanism that controls the addiction habit is applied in managing the eating habits. This drug has higher influences on controlling the systems that make the body eat and thus supports weight loss.
When used in addiction treatment drugs, Naltrexone is useful in treating opioid-induced constipation. On taking this drug, it is able to affect opioids at the cellular level.
When consumed in low doses, it is referred to as LDN or Low Dose Naltrexone. Naltrexone in 32 mg and bupropion in 360 mg – this combination in the form of pill has been approved for obesity treatment, in recent days.
If you look into the various studies conducted on this drug, it has been found that this combination of the two drugs is more effective in achieving weight losses.
From the studies we come to know that Naltrexone helps in reducing inflammation. In fact, it is useful as an anti-inflammatory agent. Whether it is weight loss or weight gain, this inflammation is a notable factor.
Advantages of Naltrexone weight loss comparing with other drugs
- Since it doesn’t increase either heartbeat or blood pressure, this drug is safe to use for patients of obesity, breathing difficulties and possessing increased risks of stroke and heart attack
- Naltrexone helps in fighting against the unhealthy cycle of lack of sleep side effects of the system
- Even for the drinkers, the drug is safe to use.
- As it is not found to raise the blood sugar level, there is no risk for the diabetic patients to use this drug for weight loss management.
What are the side effects observed with Naltrexone?
- There are some common side effects noticed which include nausea, headaches, vomiting, and constipation.
- Muscle pain/joint pain
- In very rare cases, the Contrave make the patient to have thoughts and actions for suicidal
- Headache and dizziness
- Insomnia or trouble sleeping
- Stomach pain and Abdominal discomfort
- Problems in Liver function
- Feeling frustrated or angry
Does Naltrexone really have effects on weight loss?
Although the real results may vary from person to person, still low dose Naltrexone has good results on weight loss. Especially for those who are suffering from overeating or eating disorders or insulin resistance, it is quite useful. However, for the best results, the patients are recommended to have the medicine along with exercise routines and healthy diet habits.